This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Thursday, May 21, 2009

They do grow up, don't they?

My eldest son turned 13 last week. THIRTEEN?!?! He's nearly as tall as me. He mows the grass now. His feet are nearly as big as mine. And he now owns a REAL sword.

Last week was his 13th birthday. It was quite a celebration full of surprises. I hope I have't set the bar too high for the other 3 kids! We had dear friends from out-of-town come visit to help celebrate. Our kids had no idea they were coming - they live 13 hours away! Then on Friday night my hubby planned a very special ceremony and camping trip with some men of the church and their sons.

A number of the men prepared letters and talks on various subjects concerning Christian Manhood. The letters were presented to our son in a nice binder for him to read and refer to in the coming years. Each man gave a brief talk on the same subject. At the end, there was an oath and the presentation of a sword: a Viking replica with a real blade!

Of course no women were allowed, so I have to rely on pictures and retellings.

The next night was our church's Father-Child Camp-Out at the same campground, so the rest of the kids joined their dads for a day and night of crazy games, getting muddy, various injuries, general goofiness and camping fun.

I think I'm still recovering from the laundry. . . and the fact that I have a thirteen year old . . . with a sword.


Did you enjoy this post? Be sure to subscribe via email or RSS to receive my blog updates.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

yup I turned 13!!
I mean, we have to grow up sometime!!