This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Monday, March 21, 2011

Daybook - Monday, March 21st - First Spring Monday

outside my window . . . the trees are beginning to get those tiny almost iridescent green leaves.

I am listening to . . . my son slosh around some "slime" he made last week.

I am so grateful for . . . a delightful and successful trip to Biltmore House for Erik, mother-in-law and the older kids.  (Youngest and I stayed home)

I am reading . . . Purgatory, slowly; Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, slowly; Wives of Henry VIII, slowly.  And trying to finish up last month's First Things because the new one arrived this week!

I am thinking . . . about loyalty and faithfulness.

around the house . . . finally had to ditch the homemade laundry detergent.  I liked it at first, but after using it for about 6 months, I am seeing clothes that just look dingy.  I switched to regular detergent and the very first load I did looked amazingly cleaner.  I had a white robe that was getting pathetic and now it looks bright white again.  Too bad, I loved the idea of cheaper and gentler detergent.

from the kitchen . . .  Greek Cabbage soup,  Rice Pilaf and broccoli, Pasta with tomato sauce, Greek Potatoes and brussels sprouts, and Poached Salmon and sugar snap peas are all on the menu this week.

real education in our home . . . we are continuing our study of the digestive system and moving into Ancient Egypt.  I suspect a sugar cube pyramid is in our near future.

rhythm and beauty in our home . . . time to add some flowers to the front porch area.  There are lots of things we'd like to add to our new yard, but we'll have to keep it simple this year.  We'll start with some annuals and a few perennials around the front porch.  Hopefully a fig tree soon...and in the fall some azaleas and small flowering trees...bulbs, too.

the church year in our home . . . Friday is Feast of the Annunciation.  We will have a feast dinner at the very least.  My goal is to make an Annunciation icon before Friday so we can display it on our family altar (which I still have not moved downstairs).    A reading of the Annunciation story and the Magnificat seems to be in order.  Since it is a feast day, we'll get to enjoy a little dessert, perhaps an Angel Food Cake with fruit!  I'll try to devote a post to the Annunciation Feast tomorrow or the next day.

one of my favorite things . . . a clean kitchen with: no dirty dishes, nor any clean dishes waiting to be put away, counters cleared and wiped to a sheen, and a welcoming candle burning.

the week ahead . . . bible study for me this afternoon, meeting at church on Wednesday, our teen book study Thursday, Annunciation Feast Friday, friends over on Saturday, and serving the youth group dinner on Sunday.  


0 comments: