This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Saturday, January 10, 2009

Peter Piper's Picks: January 10th


Welcome to the first Peter Piper's Picks of 2009!

The first post I want to share with you is from the Deputy HeadMistress of The CommonRoom posting at Frugal Hacks. She tackles the price of convenience - and how it can undermine our budget quickly and dramatically. I also love that she pulls in some quotes from Michael Pollan - my current favorite non-fiction writer. If you've not read any of his books about the industrial food model, I highly encourage you to seek them out.

And speaking of Michael Pollan - back in October he was on NPR with Terry Gross talking about his ideas and suggestions made to the next president in an open letter published by the NY Times. A foodie blog I read Kale for Sale brought this interview to my attention. She says it is 40 mintues worth your time, and I'm certain she's right. If you aren't familiar with Michael Pollan's idea, this audio will be a good introduction.

HT to Jen and Jessica - who both pointed me toward this article. Our life as mothers often feels quite un-holy or un-contemplative as we are pulled in so many directions by so many little hands. How can we set our focus properly that we are indeed living a life of holiness and contemplation not altogether different from a monastic? I suppose the first step is in recognizing it as such. Both home and monastery are places "to learn that time is not ours, but God's."

And back to frugality - I love lists of fun or useful ways to reuse items. Here are two I found interesting: Reusing an empty McCann's Steel Cut Oats can and Uses for old, worn out jeans.

Did you enjoy this post? Be sure to subscribe via email or RSS to receive my blog updates.

2 comments:

Kale for Sale said...

Thanks for linking to my post about the Michael Pollan interview. It was a good one. As one of my friends said, "He's so straightforward." I love that.

And thanks for the link about reusing the oatmeal can. We literally threw one in the recycle today. That won't happen again!

Scribbit said...

That convenience post was probably written for me--I have a hard time with that!