This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Before the Impressionists....

were the "en plein air" artists. In some ways, I prefer these artists to the Impressionists, certainly to some of the later styles coming out of Impressionism(especially Pointilism, which is fascinating, but not beautiful, in my opinion).

The National Gallery of Art is hosting an exhibition of over 100 works by these artists (including an early photographer whose work I'd LOVE to see) through June 8th - In the Forest of Fontainbleau: Painters and Photographs from Corot to Monet. They are offering a "Family Weekend" April 19th and 20th - with many activities (drop in - no fee, no registration) to go along with this exhibition, too. Consider ordering a "Loan Packet" (scroll down)- FREE again - with reproductions, slides, teacher guide, maps, timelines, and more. (More infor on the Loan Packet program on this page.)

Want to make this into a complete learning adventure? How about downloading NGA's education package (FREE) for this exhibit: Picturing France- 1830-1900. From the website:

"... learning resource intended primarily for middle and upper grade levels. It takes a multifaceted look at nineteenth-century painting in France, as well as the culture that both produced and is reflected by that art. Organized by region, it provides a quick glance at the setting, history, and cultural life of Paris, the Île-de-France, the mountain areas of Franche-Comté and Auvergne, Normandy, Brittany, and Provence, in addition to a more in-depth examination of more than 50 works of art. We hope that this resource will be useful to teachers and students in many disciplines, including social studies, history, and French language. "

Are you in the DC area? I'm not, but might have to make a trip up to see this exhibition! If you are going, leave a comment...and come back and share your thoughts!

(if you enjoy this art resource post, let me know and I'll be sure to do more!)

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see more posts like this! There were two links in your post that didn't work, but I'll check back again. Blessings!

Kerry said...

Hi, Sandy - I fixed the links! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I could go! Thanks for sharing the links though. Maybe I'll take a virtual trip. :)