11 days to Advent!
(said in a slightly enthusiastic and slightly overwhelmed tone)
I am so unprepared. Can I even find the Advent box? I remember seeing it somewhere at some point in this move, but where it has ended up is not so fresh in my mind. Perhaps hubby knows. I sure hope so.
So, anyway - a countdown to Advent, or rather, MY countdown to Advent.
1. Find the Advent box (makes a good number one, wouldn't you say?).
2. Determine if my candles are in good shape for this year's wreath or if we need fresh ones.
3. Decide if I want to use the pewter wreath or one with greenery this year...I do have a lovely holly bush this year.
4. Think about other ways to decorate the house for Advent (less, more, or the same as previous years?).
5. Consider other celebrations for this year's Advent...or just keep to the ones we know and love. Also, I hope to focus on the penitential nature of the season by keeping a modest fast, so I'll consider what that will look like, too. (personal only or with the family and how will we fast?)
6. Gather my St. Nick and St. Lucia books, recipes, etc and organize our plans for those celebrations.
7. Make a shopping list for supplies needed (candles, baking needs, wreath needs, decorations). Shop for those we need before the start of Advent.
8. Make the advent wreath, or at least just dig it out of the box. Then decide where to place the wreath: dining room table, kitchen table, buffet (in kitchen), or somewhere else.
9. Torture myself by downloading someone's "get ready for Christmas" calendar that starts in September, in a
fit trash it and make my own. Surely, 27 days is plenty, right?
10. Plan Advent season meals (we will try a modest fast for Advent).
11. Breathe deeply and remind myself that a little is better than nothing, then: Celebrate our first evening of Advent!
What are you doing to get ready for Advent...something I've missed?