This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Saturday, June 30, 2007

cheating summer

I think I'm cheating summer.

Today, my middle son (7) enjoyed anther afternoon of digging in the sandbox with his bestfriends next door. I stepped outside just to have a listen (they are so close that sometimes they all bicker like siblings, so we keep close tabs on the temperature of the interraction) and was delicately distracted by the buzzing and whirring and screeching of a hot, humid summer afternoon here in the south. The June bugs, in their shiny, metallic green shells, were buzzing around my herbs. There were various species of "bee" also making the rounds. And high above me came a distinct, rising screech. It was definitely the screech of a bug - almost a crackling screech - rather than a bird or animal. I've no idea what it was, but it was quite loud!

I stood there thinking how lovely this hot and stifling afternoon really was to my senses, if not to the comfort of my inner thermostat. My husband would cringe if he knew what I did next, but he'll read my blog and know...I'll come clean anyway... I went inside and opened a window. And, no, I didn't turn off the A/C .

But somehow, by sitting inside my home so nice and refrigerated - and perfectly still , I feel like I'm cheating summer and also cheating myself out of the same. I've missed the soft clamour of nature!

I think I'll be keeping my window open...

1 comments:

Quotidian Life said...

Hi Kerry,

What herbs are you growing? I have basil (didn't plant enough), sweet sage (steeped with tea in the winter), oregano, mint, thyme, and a lemon thyme (which my oldest daughter likes to mix with pasta and olive oil. Oh, and rosemary and lemon verbena.

Now that summer is here I stay inside as much as possible during the day. The heat really saps my strength! The little gardening I do in July and August is accomplished in the cool of the evening.