This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Thursday, June 28, 2007

Who ate the Baby?...I ate the (Dutch) Baby

While visiting Meredith over at Like Merchant Ships, I came across a wonderful recipe for a cobbler that reminded me of a Dutch Baby...only in reverse, and on a stove top.

I'd never heard of these until I visited a bed and breakfast in near Harrisburg, PA. It was so delicious that I had to find a recipe. I make it every now and then for family or guests - it makes a wonderful addition to the breakfast or brunch table. It is puffy and light (not light as in calories), with a slight crunch. The batter is only slightly sweet - so you can add macerated fruit without making the dish overly sweet. Let me know if you try this! Or if you have a different recipe.

Here is the recipe:

Dutch Baby

Ingredients: 1/2 c milk, 1/2 c flour, 1/4 c sugar, 2 large eggs, and 1/2 stick butter. You'll need an oven-proof/stovetop-proof dish to cook this in. I recommend a good cast iron skillet.

Preheat oven to 425. Mix the milk, flour, sugar and eggs. Set aside. Melt butter in a 10-inch iron skillet. Tilt the pan so that the butter coats the sides. Pour batter into the skilet and cook, without stirring, for 1 minute. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until puffed and golden (12-15 min.s). Top with fresh berries and a bit of cinnamon.

I've also tried dropping berries or fruit into the batter and it is delicious that way, too! Thanks for the reminder, Meredith, I think I'll make this for breakfast tomorrow!

1 comments:

*BALURDI* said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.