This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fresh Fig Ice Cream

We have a very large fig bush, actually, a tree, I guess! It is in its 4th year and looks to be our best harvest, yet. So, here's the first recipe I'm trying with this year's harvest. I found this recipe at Burp! Where Food Happens, but changed it just a little bit (added vanilla).


Fresh Fig Ice Cream

2 lbs fresh figs (must be fresh, do not substitute dried; however, the fresh ones can be ones that have gone a little bit over)
1/2 c water
zest of one lemon
3/4 c sugar
1 c heavy cream
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/tsp vanilla

Cut figs into quarters or eighths. Cook figs in water and zest for 8-10 minutes or until figs are tender. Add sugar and cook until jam-like (took about 20 minutes or so, stirring frequently). Let cool. Blend in cream, lemon juice and vanilla (use a handmixer if you have one, if not a quick whirl in the blender). Chill well (overnight, if possible - otherwise for a few hours). Pour into you ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions.


Oh, my goodness it is absolutely heavenly!

Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe via email or RSS.

3 comments:

MomCO3 said...

Hey, you're back! Welcome back. Sounds delicious, though I think figs are the farthest thing from local to me.

Kerry said...

Yes! I'm back! I hate to have been so absent, but this summer was so busy and with a new baby, well other things just took precedence. :)

I hope I can keep it up!

I'm sorry you don't have figs. I'm not sure how far north they can grow, but I suspect the growing season is just too short where you are. I'm sending you yummy fig thoughts, though!

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

We love figs around here as well! We have two small trees just starting out, and we were only able to harvest two this year, but they were delicious!