This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Monday, August 4, 2008

The Simple Woman Daybook - Aug 4, 2008

Recently, I came across this "Daybook", which is a meme of sorts, but different. It appealed to me as a way to record a bit of my life on a more regular basis on my blog.

Each Monday, bloggers share their Daybook entries. Add your own or just enjoy reading what other ladies are up to this week. Visit Peggy's blog: The Simple Woman and enjoy the other Daybook entries.

FOR TODAY August 4th, 2008

Outside My Window... It is hot and hazy. I've done my errands for the day and now I'm staying IN!

I am thinking... about a new landscape plan for our boring suburban lot. We want to reduce our lawn, set up a nice play area in the backyard, and incorporate a vegetable garden (and fruit plants).

I am thankful for... a friend's call this morning to invite my middle son over. Our kids' best friends are getting ready to move, so I'm trying to help ease that transition by encouraging some other friendships to blossom as well. (Remember the rhyme, "Make new friends, But keep the old; One is silver, and the other gold.")

From the kitchen... yummy Chicken and Rice soup simmering away and Cucumbers with Yogurt and Mint.

I am wearing... my favorite stretchy jeans and my most unfavorite top (basic cotton T-shirt in a grass green color - not my most flattering color)

I am creating... some baked delights for the week ahead (cookies, raisin bread, and a fruit kuchen)

I am going... to bed early tonight.

I am reading... Gilead, a stack of landscaping and garden books, In Defense of Food, and the Iliad

I am hoping... to find a good podcast to listen to while I bake this afternoon. I'm also hoping the kids will find something to occupy them while I enjoy my time in the kitchen. This is one of my favorite things to do - something good to listen to and a pleasant afternoon making tasty treats.

I am hearing... two of my kids planning and talking while they play with new Model Magic that I picked up this morning. It is a little pricey, but they are so creative with it. I'll post some of their creations later.

Around the house... there is a lot of laundry that needs to be finished and put away. This is one of those chores that I just HATE. For some reason, by the time I'm done with my mountain of laundry I putter out and the clothes languish in laundry baskets for the rest of the week. I'm trying to get all caught up today and then get back into the long-forgotten habit of doing a load at least every other day.

One of my favorite things... the quiet of the house in the early morning. I sit with my bible, planner, laptop, and a nice cup of coffee or tea as I read and plan my day. There is something so lovely and relaxing. I will admit that it is tempting to not get the rest of the day started, though.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: I have a couple of blog posts to work on and a new blog to launch - I'm trying to squeeze that in this week. Some time during the week, I'd like to have some friends over who have been gone most of the summer. We've missed them and want to catch up a bit. Tomorrow, I'm taking middle son to a friends house. Thursday, I have my "Wives In Prayer" Group. On Friday, we are going to ejoy a Chinese celebration as we watch the Olympics Opening Ceremony. My husband is taking the kids away for a long weekend to the beach, so I need to spend some time thinking about what I want to use that time to accomplish (school preparations, a household project, blog work or just some relaxation...or a little of each).

Here is picture thought I am sharing...
Yummy fresh figs from our fig tree. We planted it about 3 years ago and it looks like we'll be getting our first real harvest in this year! Hubby and I LOVE fresh figs. We've been looking forward to these ALL summer.
Did you enjoy this post? Be sure to subscribe via email or RSS to receive my blog updates.

2 comments:

DebD said...

Another blog!!?? Doesn't that make 3 blogs for you - you're either superwoman, or crazy! ;)

I love fresh figs but haven't had them in years...those look very tasty.

Kerry said...

Well, then it must be insanity. :) Really it is just spreading out the blogging - stuff I'd be blogging about here anyway. The new blog will be devoted to seasonal and sustainable food. I've been working on it for sometime, but just haven't been ready to launch it. I'm hoping it can benefit us by making some ad money.