This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Big Rocks

So, the Big Rocks from my last post. They've been rolling around in my head for the past day or so. Decided I needed to put pen to paper, or rather finger to keyboard, to do some active thinking about them.

What are the Big Rocks? For me, they are those things that nurture and sustain me and my family. Time spent: in enjoyment of one another, in worship or prayer, at creative pursuits, and in keeping a peaceful home are some examples of the things I consider Big Rocks. There is other stuff in my jar, the "grit" as Anne calls it, I'll look at that in another post, perhaps.

As I turned the rocks over in my brain, I realize that there are different types of Big Rocks. Some are daily rocks, some are weekly, some are monthly, some are semi-annualy - I think you get my drift. I understand thinking about the Rocks on a daily basis - and making sure these accomplished (not that I don't need to work on that, but I do try to do that). But I often find that I neglect planning for the Big Rocks that are the weekly, monthly and semi-annual type. I need to plan when these Rocks should happen and then....write them down in my calendar. This is not revolutionary thinking for many of you, I know, but for me it is!

Here's an example: Scrapbooking, obviously not a daily or even weekly Rock, but one I do want to accomplish. In my mind, I know that I want to do some scrapbooking each month; however, because I do not actually write it on my calendar, it doesn't happen.

So, following is my list of the Big Rocks in my life's jar for 2008. In each area (daily, weekly, etc.) , I will literally be writing these down in my calendar today with as much detail as I can. Some will have to be planned out month by month (like the cultural events, which will depend on local events), but most can at least be "penciled in" figuratively and literally.

Daily:
Prayer - personal and family
Home Education and family learning
Mother Culture (personal reading, blogging, crochet or other craft project)

Weekly:
Writing letters and making calls to family and friends
Special Lord's Day plans (special meals, activities)
Missionary support work

Monthly:
Scrapbooking
Enjoy God's Creation with family
Creative, Cultural, Educational events (taking a day to shoot some film or do some sketching, visiting a museum, attending a concert or play, listening to a lecture)

Semi-Annually:
Celebrating Feasts and Fasts and other Church Year observances
Family travel

I'll follow this post up in the next couple of days (time-permitting - we are getting back to homeschool) with some of my thoughts and plans.

0 comments: