This blog has permanently moved to a new blogging address. Come on over to
The Potter's Shed!


Friday, January 4, 2008

Making resolutions - Rhythm, Reverence and Time

So, this week, after making some homeschool-related resolutions, I've been mulling over my personal resolutions. Of course, there are SO MANY I could make...that nagging 15 lbs, better organization, less TV, yelling at the kids, crabbing at the hubby...and on and on. I often feel so paralyzed by the thought of making RESOLUTIONS, that in the end, I don't. And to tell the truth, I've never been very faithful to keep arbitrarily set "rules" like New Year's resolutions, anyway. It just seems so "band-wagon", doesn't it? Most often, I find my best "resolutions" are made when I have just decided "Everything's (got to) CHAAANGE" (said in my best Holly Hunter Texas-drawl - and if you can name the movie, you'll win some link love).

However, this year I feel a little differently. Things in our family and my life have recently changed significantly for the better (in terms of stress and "busy-ness) and we are all really enjoying the breathing room. In fact, my husband has been telling anyone who asks, "This has been the most peaceful and enjoyable Advent and Christmas, EVER." None of us really know *why*, but we all agree with him. And we want it to continue!

I'm very quick to want to take on any task that needs doing, and of course, my particular weakness is church. (If it needs doing, just ask Kerry. Well, that is a little prideful when there are PLENTY of others who do so much more than me. How about this, if it needs doing, I volunteer.) But, after a long season of hyper-work at our church, hubby and I find ourselves in a lull with many of our previous responsibilities having ended. Now, we are able to truly evaluate what we take on vs. what we choose to not be involved in.

So, here is where I am in relation to resolutions. I want to spend some time this weekend evaluating the "big rocks" vs the "pebbles" vs the "sand" in my life. Then I want to begin developing a realistic "Rule" for myself and my family.

And my resolution? It's simple...and not.

Rhythm, Reverence and Time. I want to see our household, our family, our homeschool, and myself develop a sense of Rhytm and Reverence...and that takes TIME.

This saying "Rhythm, Reverence, and Time" is NOT mine - but it has been hanging on my kitchen cabinet door on a little yellow sticky for about 6 months. (If you know where it came from, PLEASE leave a comment!)

I'm not totally sure how I'm going to accomplish that...it might take all of 2008, but I'll let you know what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. In fact, any post relating to this I'll give it's own label "Rhythm, Reverence and Time". Check back in the coming days - I hope to share some of what I've discovered. In the meantime, do go read the two links in this post, you will be inspired and delighted.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I've really been mulling over how to make our normal lives more peaceful. Each year I say we're not going to do a,b,c because they put us into over-drive, but then I turn right around and replace those things with d,e,f, and g - more of different things and life is just worse.

I've learned a lot this year about what I value in our family and what I think will enable us to raise our girls to be good people who love the Lord and value their own families. It does not include summer baseball, expensive art lessons, and ballet.

We're locked in to our commitments for this spring and I regret that. It won't happen next year and I mean it this time. I'm not going to replace what I'm dropping with other things - I'm going to be very intentional about carving out time for our family. I'm drooling just thinking about it. It will begin in June and I'm really looking forward to it.

Now then, to make it happen...

At A Hen's Pace said...

I'm looking forward to your posts in the R,R & T category!

Jeanne